Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Plight of Cherry Coke...

I took a sandwich with me to work today, and noticed when I went to eat it a little before 1:00 that the refridgerator was full of Cherry Coke. Cherry Coke had long been a preferred beverage of mine, particularly in fountain form at Subway. Of course, during my five-year-caffeinated-beverageless run, I was deprived of Cherry Coke, because the Coca-Cola company does not produce caffeine-free Cherry Coke. Hence, when I gave up on the no-caffeine mentality, I was excited to come back to Cherry Coke.

And the return was good. That catchy red-and-black edgy can design was appealing, and the taste sharp and unique. It was definitely Coke, but it wasn't the flagship product with deceptive labeling to pretend it was differently-flavored.

But then, something sinister happened: Coca-Cola company went insane and changed Cherry Coke. Not the flavor mind you. Just the can.

Instead of the edgy, confetti-like red and black coloring with a cool font, the new Cherry Coke isn't Cherry Coke, but Coca-Cola Cherry and it looks utterly ridiculous. I don't know which marketing person thought of this, but it's turning me off big time. I assume some of the motivation behind the ugly fuchsia-pink coloring is to appeal to a "healthier" beverage, with a less-edgy color scheme and the amply presence of eerily-pink cherries. Plus, the addition of the normal script Coca-Color reminds the average buyer that the artist-formerly-known as Cherry Coke is a Coca-Cola brand product.

But pink? Who's the target audience here? I mean, it's great to attract a pink-leaning group, but doesn't anyone else think that the excessively pink coloring might turn off a key demographic, like ME? I wouldn't consider it hip to walk around holding this new Cherry Coke can. In fact, I think it looks decidedly unhip, what with bulbous cherries prancing around the can and that decidedly ugly shade of pink I've been harping on. Whether you agree or not, wouldn't it be a good idea to package a product in a design that appeals to the college-aged male soda drinker? Wouldn't a significant loss in that group more than outweigh a modest gain in another area?

I'm going to only purchase Wild Cherry Pepsi from now on, which isn't as badass as the old Cherry Coke, but at least it ain't fuschia.

No comments: